Saturday, September 12, 2009

Hannah's 1-year check-up

Yesterday Hannah and I ventured out to Kaiser for her one-year check-up! This was a huge deal, because we were hoping that we would be able to put her forward-facing car seat in the car, so we can see her when we're in the car and so she could see where we're going. California's regulations for placing a baby in a forward-facing car seat are that the baby must be at least a year old and at least 20 lbs. She weighed 19 lbs., 4 oz. at her 9-month check-up, so she's definitely at the 20 lb mark now, right? Nope! Apparently, she only gained THREE OUNCES in the last 3 months, because she weighs 19 lbs., 7 oz - meaning, we still have over a half pound until she can turn around in the car! Bummer! This is a surprising statistic to anyone who's SEEN Hannah - she's adorably chubby! I can't figure out how she keeps her weight down with all her chub! She's only in the 20-something percentile for weight and seventy-something for height (sorry, I don't remember the exact numbers). All I can say is, there must be some really chubby babies out there! :) (Her length is 29.75 inches).

Anyway, Hannah had to get 5 shots yesterday, plus a blood draw. Poor baby had a band-aid on every limb. I think shots must be confusing to babies, especially once they get to this age and have a little more of an understanding of things. All she knows is that mommy's holding her while some lady repeatedly inflicts sharp pains into her legs and arms, and she didn't even do anything to deserve this kind of poor treatment. It was kind of cute, though, after she got the blood draw, the lady went to put a sticker on her shirt and as soon as Hannah saw her coming at her with something, she started screaming again! Such a traumatic experience for such a little girl! Thankfully, she doesn't remember any of it! Except, we have to go back next month for her flu shot. At least it's only one, though!

On a different note, I had the joy of babysitting Linnea for part of the day today. While it was a lot of fun and I definitely won't mind doing it again, it made me thankful that I don't have kids that are a year apart (Kristin, I don't know how you did it)!!! It is, however, so much fun to watch Hannah interact with her baby cousin. We're still working on what it means to be gentle and to be careful not to fall on the baby, etc. (which is one of the reasons having babies this close in age would be difficult to deal with full time, although I realize that God's grace is sufficient for even that!). I did manage to get some really cute pictures and videos of the two, so I will hopefully post those in the near future. Hannah absolutely adores Linnea (most of the time) and gets REALLY excited when she sees her! It melts my mommy heart!

2 comments:

The Pichura Family said...

Sweet Hannah!!! I love the bow that was in her hair in the video and pictures!!!

And, you got it right, Kimiko...only by the grace of God...and He never gives you more than you can handle! :) Sounds like a "cliche" but it is so true!!!

Beth said...

She looks less chubby now, probably all the crawling and semi-walking around. Just wait until she starts walking. She'll probably thin out even more. Happened to both my nieces. Hopefully you can turn her car seat around soon :)