Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Our Big Girl!

There's been some excitement in the Parker house recently.  With James home from work, we decided this would be the optimal time to potty train, since we could share the responsibility.  Well, that and that fact that Hannah's over 2 1/2 and has been ready for potty training for a long time - I just hadn't gotten around to it yet.  So, last week we decided that we would start on Monday (yesterday) - no excuses!  I think we were both dreading it, but our daughter is a potty training champ!  :)

We had heard of the potty boot camp method, where you lock yourself in the bathroom with your child ALL DAY.  For some, this is a very quick and effective method, but we decided we would only do this if we had to (something about being locked in our tiny bathroom with a 2 1/2 year old just wasn't appealing).  Instead, we would just let her run around without a diaper (or pants) and make it very clear to her that if she has to go, she needs to use the potty.  Let me tell you, there's a benefit to waiting until they're 2 1/2 to potty train, because it comes easier to them and they understand a lot more!  She told us when she had to go, then went!  While we're not completely done potty training, we've had success with the no diaper method and are going to try panties tomorrow.  Hannah is super excited about it!

Also, today was a very big day because Hannah learned how to do a somersault!!  She's been trying for a while now, but always ended up flopping over to the side.  Today she managed to do a full somersault!!!  And then we couldn't stop her from doing them!  I would have videos, but we're potty training...and she's been wearing nothing from the waist down.  While it is very cute and adorable, it's not quite web appropriate.  :) 

And for those of you who don't have Facebook (ahem, Kristin), here are a few recent pictures:
First trip to the dentist = success!!!  She prays and thanks Jesus for the toys at the dentist - no joke!

Even though you can't see her face, this is one of my absolute favorite pictures of Hannah.

She LOVES playing in the dirt!

Giving Daddy one of her "special kisses."
LOVE!

Best friends!

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Oh Kimiko...THANK YOU SO MUCH for posting all those pictures...they are SOOOO PRECIOUS. Boy do we miss you guys!!!!! I LOVED the picture of James and Hannah...and, though I know this season of "no work" is not what you would chose, I am so glad that it has given you so much family time together! I know it must do your hearts good!

And way to go, Hannah, on the potty training...candy got your aunt on the potty everytime from what I have been told!:)

Michelle P said...

Yeah! Tell Hannah we are so proud of her "big girl" achievement! :)
Love all the pictures...miss you guys and pray for you often.