Saturday, August 18, 2012

On Infertility...

This is a post that I have started to write, rewritten, and given up on countless times.  You see, no one wants to talk about infertility.  It's not that there aren't many people struggling with infertility, because there are.  About 10% of women struggle with infertility - that's 1 for every 10 women.  So why do we rarely ever hear about it?  Because it's such a private matter.  However, I would like to say that it shouldn't be.  It is a trial, and just as we need the love, support, and encouragement of others during other major trials like the death of a loved one, we need love, support, and encouragement during infertility as well.  I have found that for me personally, it helps to talk with others about it - particularly others who have gone through the same thing as me - rather than just bottle it up.  Anyway, all that to say, with a bit of encouragement from my sister-in-law, I'm going to make myself vulnerable and blog some of the difficulties, temptations, struggles, and lessons I have learned and been through as a result of infertility.  In addition to simply being an outlet for me to express myself, I hope that it can possibly encourage other women struggling with infertility and help those who don't struggle with it understand the struggle a bit better so they know how to effectively minister to the infertile.

Let me say right from the beginning, though, that I have not figured out this whole infertility thing, nor do I think I ever will.  I have not "arrived."  I am a sinner who still struggles with infertility and that sin will probably become evident at times as I write.  I'm still trying to figure things out, trust the Lord, and pursue Him through it all and I must admit that I fail....A LOT.

Since infertility is such a huge monster to tackle, I decided I'd break it up into different posts.  I may focus on one aspect of infertility in each post or just something I'm learning.  For now, though, let me share this video I stumbled upon.  While it does a good job of conveying the emotional struggle, it leaves out the hope that we have as sons and daughters of Christ.  It is definitely a painful trial, but through it, we can have hope and comfort, knowing that God loves us and does what is best for us, even if it hurts.

So I hope you'll bear with me and my imperfections as I share this journey of ours.

4 comments:

Kristin said...

Oh sweet Kimiko,
I know that these posts can/will not be easy for you. I can only imagine what it must be like to try to write down emotions and feelings that are hard to describe. But my heart is full of thankfulness that you are willing to try...to help those of us who don't know what it is like to be infertile, and to encourage those that do. I am excited to see the way in which the Lord uses what you share to bring glory to His name. Know that I am praying for you as you write...praying these verses..."Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, Who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. For as we share abundantly in Christ's sufferings, so through Christ we share abundantly in comfort too!" 2 Corinthians 1:3-5

Love you!!!!!

Michelle P said...

Thanks for sharing (and continuing to share) Kimiko! I know infertility is a journey filled with lots of "downs" and an occasional "up", but I am thankful you are willing to put yourself out there! I know many people will be blessed by hearing the lessons God is teaching you, and will also be comforted just knowing that they are not alone in their struggle...I know often times that is the lie that is the easiest to believe, so it's always helpful to hear that others are going thru a similar trial, and hear how God is using it for their good. And of course I'm happy to get to hear your thoughts since we don't get a lot of talk time together!...looking forward to knowing you better through these posts. Love you and praying for you!

Sandy said...

Oh, dear Kimiko...I am so blessed that you are willing to share your journey with the Lord through the "valley" of infertility. My own heart echos Kristin and Michelle's comments, and I want you to know that you are so very often in my prayers...I love you :)

Beth said...

Love you Kimiko. I can't imagine what you're going through but as we've shared talked about this over the past few years I want you to know I'm hear. I look forward to hearing more ways I can minister to you and others in similar situations!!