Tuesday, March 3, 2009

What Are My Actions REALLY Saying about My Belief in the Sovereignty of God?

God's sovereignty is one of those things that is easy to practice in word, but not in deed. God has made this evident in my life recently. I find myself blaming others or circumstances for my situation. There are two particular instances that God has really used to show me this. The first was with all of my postpartum complications. It is so easy (and natural, unfortunately) to blame the doctor and the health care system for all of my problems - they should have done this, they did this wrong, etc. And, yes, while they are responsible for their actions, as we all are, God is the one who placed those people in my care. God is the one who allowed that doctor to become a doctor. He allowed that particular doctor to be there on the day Hannah was born. He allowed everything to take place.

The second instance is with James finding a new job. He had been working with recruiters at a specific bank to find a new job. He applied for a couple of positions, along with some of his coworkers. While his coworkers were being called for interviews and receiving job offers, James' applications resulted in nothing. I found myself asking, "Why is his recruiter not doing anything for him? Why isn't the bank calling him? He's one of the top performers in his district. Why are they choosing his coworkers over him?" Then one day it hit me - God is orchestrating everything that takes place, including what this bank does or doesn't do, and obviously this is not what God has in store for our family - at least not yet. While it may not make any sense in my finite mind, God is omniscient and already has it all planned out. He is telling us to be patient and to wait upon Him and His perfect timing and to trust Him in the meantime. When I really think about it, I'm thankful that God is orchestrating James' job situation, because I know that what He has in store for us will be the best thing possible for us, whether it seems like it or not at the time. As I look back over the past few years, I can definitely see how God has taken care of our family and provided for our needs. I pray that as time goes on, I will continue to trust the Lord and realize that His plans, even in the uncertainty of it all, are truly the best for me and our family as a whole.

3 comments:

The Pichura Family said...

Know that we are praying for you and with you, as we too wait on the Lord for Samuel and Caleb! I can't wait to see just what the Lord has in store for all of us! Thanks for being so open and honest!

For His Glory said...

I can totally relate, I wanted the children God has for us by the holidays and was frustrated why God wouldn't bring them to us by then...I didn't realize my dad would be having heart surgery in Jan, nor did I even know he had heart issues. I couldn't even imagine the craziness if we did have these children and the stress of all that during that intense time with my dad. I look back and think, why why why, can't I just get it-that is God's sovereignty and that it is all for my GOOD! I There's this verse (and I'm way sleepy right now but it goes "He will not withhold any good thing from those who seek to live for HIm"...I believe it's in Pslams...Thanks for sharing your heart and continue to fight to see God's GOODNESS in all your waiting :)

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I found your blog through Kristin's blog. Your post on sovereignty caught my attention. To me, God's sovereignty is one of his most significant attributes that we can understand - and when we begin to grasp it - it is revolutionary in our lives.

As the last commenter said, God does not withhold any "good thing" from His children. The "good" for us is making us more into the image of Christ. Rom. 8:28,29 And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.

The "good" isn't always fun! But, it has its perfect result - PTL.

Thanks for sharing from your heart how the Lord is working in you.