Thursday, March 5, 2009

What My 6-Month-Old Is Teaching Me about God's Love

It's amazing how much marriage has taught me about Christ's relationship with the Church (not to mention how much sin in my life marriage has revealed :) ). Adding another factor into the equation - a baby - just magnifies these lessons even more! Just as He uses marriage as an analogy for His relationship with us, the parent/child relationship also teaches us much. There is definitely a reason why God is our Heavenly Father who calls us His children.Because our minds are incapable of fully understanding and comprehending such a great God (just as we learned about God's incomprehensibility in church a few weeks ago), these analogies are useful for us to understand, in part, Who God is. Today I was thinking about how much being a mom has taught me about the love of God. Hannah is incapable of offering me anything. She can't provide any services, she can't produce any goods. In fact, not only can she not provide anything, but she demands my attention, time, energy, etc. When speaking of give and take, I, as her parent, am doing all the giving and she is doing all the taking (of course, I do get great joy from her smiles and giggles, but I think you know what I'm getting at). Even though she really has nothing to offer me at this point in her life, the love I have for her is beyond words - I cannot express it. She has not, nor can she do, anything to earn my love. Just as she cannot earn my love, I cannot earn God's love, yet He continues to love and care for me. God is perfect in every way and there is nothing that I can do that will improve Him or add to Him in any way. This should result in an outpouring of love toward Him. How do I love Him? By obeying His commands. My obedience should not be a result of anything other than a response to His sacrificial, undying love for me. Knowing that I cannot add anything to God takes any desire to please God or to earn favor or merit from Him, because I can't.

Taking it a step further, I still love my daughter just the same when she's cranky and fussy. While I may not enjoy these times quite as much as when she's happy and content, I still love her just the same. Similarly, even when I'm sinning, God still loves me. This isn't an excuse to sin more (Romans 5:6-11; 6:1-2). I'm a wretched sinner - even my "good" works are filthy rags (Isaiah 64:6). However, even in my sinfulness, He sent His Son as the ultimate sacrifice to cover and atone for my sins (Ephesians 2:1-10). That should be my motivation for loving, serving, and obeying Him.

How Deep the Father's Love For Us
How deep the Father's love for us,
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure

How great the pain of searing loss,
The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the chosen One,
Bring many sons to glory

Behold the Man upon a cross,
My sin upon His shoulders
Ashamed, I hear my mocking voice,
Call out among the scoffers

It was my sin that held Him there
Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished

I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection

Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom
©1995 Kingsway's Thankyou Music
Words and Music by Stuart Townend

5 comments:

For His Glory said...

Beautiful! I'm really enjoying your posts and hope you don't mind (but you started it -hee hee)...What a beautiful analagy you gave and so precious. You should be sure to print this off and put it in her baby book to share with her later down the road. I did an example actually with my daughter that sord of goes along with what you blogged, you can check it out if you want on my blog, you have to scroll down to "A Little Opportunity"...

The Pichura Family said...

"to make a wretch His treasure" those words stuck out to me...and YOUR words were such a beautiful reminder of our sweet, yet sometimes hard to understand relationship with the Lord!!! You "packaged" it all together so nicely in one post. Thank you...it was really refreshing!

Sandy said...

Thank you, precious "daughter" for sharing your mother's heart...truly a personal reminder of our Father's love for us.
I remember it like it was yesterday...sitting "below deck" with my mom on my parent's boat while holding Kristin, and telling her that I never understood how much she loved me until I became a mommy. We were both in tears as kindred "moms" at that moment. As I write this, there are tears streaming down my face as I am reminded of how much I so deeply love each of my children...and how thankful I am to God for their walks of faith...and for their spouses' love for them and God...and how very blessed I am to see into their hearts as they share on their blogs and in my conversations with them... I am so very, very blessed to be a part of all that God is doing in each of our ten children's lives!! And I absolutely loved the song you posted. It blessed my heart so very much. Philips, Craig and Dean are one of my favorites. They encouraged me to keep going and lifted my heart up to the Lord as I cleaned the house yesterday listening to their "Where Strength Begins" album over and over! I can't thank you enough for sharing your heart, Kimiko! Keep growing and sharing! He is using you to touch all of our lives! And say "Hi!" to your family for us! Have a wonderful time with them! Love to you and James!

Fenway Park "er" said...

I know this blogging thing is primarily sustained by the ladies, but that doesn't mean dear old "DAD" doesn't care about what is written. Kimiko, your posts have been a blessing to read and your humility a reminder to me that God's lessons are sometimes best learned when we are broken and laid low before the Lord. Thanks for sharing your heart and God's grace in the midst of your pain and delight! As I have been learning, the trials and triumphs we face are not to punish or praise us but to purge our lives from sin and purify our lives for His glory! Your posts have all been intended to magnify the name of our Savior ... and for that I know He is pleased and we are greatly blessed! Thanks :)

The Johnson Family said...

I have to put an AMEN on all that has been said! The things you have been writing have been really encouraging to me and have helped me see our Savior and His love and many gifts more clearly. Thank you for sharing your heart! It is a blessing to see what God is teaching you!