
Hannah has taught us so many spiritual lessons over the last year; however, the way this one played out made it pretty funny. James has been really excited about Tim Keller's new book,
Counterfeit Gods. It basically deals with the idolatry of our hearts. The things that we worship aren't usually bad things. In fact, they're often good things - marriage, children, church - but when they become more important to us than Christ, they have become our idol. I think we often try to simply get rid of our idols, without
replacing them with Christ. What we often forget is that we were created to worship. Therefore, we will
always be worshiping something. If Christ doesn't become the focus of our worship, we will just find something else - some other "good" thing - to worship in His place. Well, Hannah gave us a nice visual of this the other day.
As you probably know, James loves candy! He has worked to make it so that it isn't an idol in his life, but we were laughing because we looked in his candy jar, and all the candy had been pulled out and in its place was a little New Testament. I knew Hannah was carrying the Bible around that day, but I had no idea what she had done with it! We both laughed as we thought about the lesson she was trying to teach her daddy! :)
On a side note, Hannah apparently missed the memo about the time change and was up at 6:30 this morning and James has come down with the flu. :( I've been loading him up with Chicken Noodle Soup today and he's just been resting. Praying for a quick recovery so that he can get back to being himself!
3 comments:
Oh Kimiko...not only did your post crack us up!!! But it was such a neat reminder, once again, of how God uses "ordinary things" to remind us about so many beautiful things in the word of God! The books sounds great and we miss you so much that it hurts...can't wait for the day I can give my sweet niece and you both a BIG hug!!!
Love you!
That is just ADORABLE! I am still laughing...isn't God a humorous great God?!?
You will soon learn to realy DIS-Like the time changes :) When it comes to kids and schedules I really struggle to rejoice at time changes! It takes a good 2 weeks or so before my kids are all back to normal...
Post a Comment