On Facebook I mentioned that I was working on a new cleaning/chores schedule and got a lot of questions about it, so I decided to post it here for those who are interested. The amount of stuff that I have to do everyday is a bit daunting when I see it all written out, but it's all stuff that pretty much has to be done!
Before you take a look, please consider the following points:
- I don't expect that I'm going to be able to complete every chore every single day, but at least I have a goal.
- My annual, semi-annual, and monthly chores may seem to be stretching it. For example, am I really going to wash the inside and outside of my windows and clean my cupboard doors every month? Probably not, but I know that if I didn't get to it this month, it'll be on my list next month and will still get done regularly enough to accomplish my overall goal of not letting anything get out of control. Before you think I'm crazy for hoping to clean my outside windows every month, you have to know that I have a small condo will windows on only one side and only the sliding glass door and one small window are accessible from outside, so cleaning the outside windows is a pretty simple task for me.
- I know there will be days that I won't be home much or things just won't go as planned (i.e. extra time needed shepherding/teaching Hannah, sickness, etc.) and I won't be able to complete my list for that day. I'm going into this knowing these days will happen and I'll just get done whatever I can. If it's something I know is coming up (like a day out), I will try to spread out that day's chores over the other days so they still get done.
- I have only tested this schedule for 1 week and it wasn't a normal week, either. James was off work Monday and Hannah and I went to Disneyland on Wednesday. I didn't get everything done, but I got 90% of it done and my house is still in order! I expect that I will be making changes and adjustments to my schedule as the weeks and months go by, but this is a good starting point for me.
- Additionally, to help in my planning/organization, I'm typing out all of the recipes my family likes so that I have them in one spot. Right now they are all over the place: on my blog, on different websites, in various cookbooks, in a notebook, in my email inbox, on Pinterest, etc., so meal planning can be daunting going to all these different sources. Having all of our tried and true recipes in one place will make sitting down to plan out our meals for the week much easier and more efficient.
- Lastly, I've attached PDF's of my schedules. I tried attaching Word documents that can be customized, but the formatting didn't transfer over, so until I figure that out, this'll have to do. I realize this isn't the best method for everyone, but I'm a list person and making a list that will work all year long (as opposed to sitting down each week or each night to make my lists) will save me a lot of time.
Weekly Chores
Monthly/Semi-Annual/Annual Chores
Believe it or not, immediately after I published this post, I ran across this post from Desiring God. It has to do with how God and our worship of Him needs to be a part of our entire day (even the medial things, like cleaning), not just the time we specifically designate as quiet time or whatnot. I figured since it has so much to do with what I just posted, I needed to put a link. Go take a minute and read it; it's a great reminder!

2 comments:
Thanks, Kamiko! I love to learn more about organizational strategies. This kind of remiinds me of the "Messies Manual" style. I have followed Flylady for years to get better habits and it is paying off for me. I was struggling with clutter and bad habits. Thanks for sharing your heart and all that you are learning. Liz
Thanks for posting this Kimiko...I'm sure it must've taken a lot of time to organize and write out! I'm going to try to use it as a base plan for myself...definitely needing to improve on this!
Post a Comment