...and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God. MORE THAN THAT, WE REJOICE IN OUR SUFFERINGS, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us. (ESV, emphasis added)I actually had to read that several times to make sure I was reading it correctly. Of course I know that we are to rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Isn't that what hope is? But then the next phrase jumped out and grabbed me. "More than that, we rejoice in the our sufferings..." Ummm...I'm supposed to be rejoicing more in my sufferings than in the hope of the glory of God? What?
I like what my study Bible has to say about this passage. It says,
The people of God rejoice not only in future glory but in present trials and sufferings, not because trials are pleasant but because they produce a step-by-step transformation that makes believers more like Christ.Boy, was that convicting! Yes, we rejoice in the future hope we have in Christ, but more than just knowing Christ, our suffering and trials make us like Christ which should cause us to rejoice even more! I don't know about you, but rejoicing isn't the first thing that comes to my mind when I'm in the midst of a trial. I pray that as I work through my current trials and whatever new trials 2012 brings, I will be able to rejoice in them!
2 comments:
Thanks for the encouragement, Kimiko! What a blessing it is to have God's Word living and active.
Michelle sent me this quote and I thought it was fitting with your post:
Dr. Edman, former president of Wheaton College, writes in a book called In Quietness and Confidence the following desert experience:
“Something painful happened to me. This is how I met it: I was quiet for a while with the Lord, and then I wrote these words for myself: First, He brought me here. It is by His will I am in this strait place: in that fact I will rest. Next, He will keep me here in His love, and give me grace as His child. Then, He will make the trial a blessing, teaching me the lessons He intends me to learn, and working in me the grace He needs to bestow. Last, in His good time He can bring me out again--how and when only He knows. Let me say I am here, first, by God’s appointment; second, in His keeping; third, under His training; fourth, for His time. "
Thanks, Kristin!
Post a Comment