Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Who Needs a Vacuum Cleaner When You Have a 9-Month-Old?

My life has gotten a lot busier lately. When you have an almost 10-month-old who knows how to crawl, anything goes! That, coupled with the fact that she peruses the floor as she crawls is what keeps me extremely busy. You see, she used to find little specks of whatever on the floor and pick them up. But thankfully, she would just play with them in her hands for a little bit and then throw them back on the floor. However, a few weeks ago, she entered the brand new world of finger foods! As I was giving her some Cheerios, a thought came to mind. I knew that she hadn't figured out how to put all the junk from the floor that she found into her mouth yet, but I feared that once she learned that she could put little bits of things in her mouth (i.e. Cheerios), the possibilities (at least in her mind) would be endless! And my fear became a reality! She has a great superpower of being able to find the tiniest objects on the floor and now I have to watch her like a hawk and even follow her around most of the day. Even if I'm watching her closely, but not right there when she finds something, it's in her mouth and gone before I can even get to her. Gone are the days of letting her play in the living room while I work in the kitchen! No matter how clean I think my floors are, Hannah proves otherwise.

Today Hannah was playing on the floor, scouring it for fun, new things to feel and taste, when a tiny, little spider went running past her. "Uh-oh!" I thought! And sure enough, she began to pursue this little spider with her hands! Thankfully for me, spiders are just as scared of babies eating them as mommies are scared of babies eating spiders!

2 comments:

The Pichura Family said...

I remember those days!! Maybe some will think I am gross to say this..but it was always interesting to see what did actually make it into their mouths...and I usually found out when I changed their diapers! :)

Reflections of Humility said...

I'm a friend of the Pichura...I also have a 10 month old that is doing the same thing. I have to keep up on the house work. A couple times this week he choked on a couple things and spit them up. God has been very gracious. I even put a copy of CPR on my frig. I have 3 older ones that leave things laying around. But it's all a season...pretty soon she will be handing you things.