Monday, March 8, 2010

One-and-a-Half Years


Yesterday our "little baby" turned 18-months-old. Where the last year and a half went, I don't know. The one thing I do know is that I'm trying to cherish every single, second I have with her - even the fussy, cranky, and trying ones. I've found that having a child makes me realize how fleeting and precious time is and is causing me to learn more and more to make the most of it. I will never get these days back!

Hannah had her 18-month well-baby check-up this morning, and we were so excited that Daddy got to go with us this time! I'll let Hannah tell you all about her appointment:
Mommy woke me up early this morning (8:30-ish!) to take me to the doctor. After we got dressed and had breakfast, Mommy put me in the car and off we went! I got to sit in a big person chair in the waiting room, and while we were waiting, Daddy showed up! I didn't know he was coming, so I was really happy to see him! The nurse came to get us, and I walked back to the room. Mommy took all my clothes off (except for my diaper) and I got to go stand on the big girl scale! Last time I was there, I just sat in the baby scale, so this was a new experience for me. I stood really still on the scale and Mommy and Daddy said I did a good job. I love being nakey, so I was pretty happy, too! The nurse had me lay down on the table and put a line under my foot and above my head. She also wrapped some weird ribbon around my head - I don't really know what that was for. The nurse left, and I got to sit on the table and read some books. It was a lot of fun! Then my doctor came in. We talked for a little bit, then she looked in my ears and listened to my heart and lungs. She even listened to my mouses's heart, too! He's a very healthy mouse! Oh, I think I forgot to tell you that Mommy had me take my mouse with me for moral support, since she knew I was going to get some shots (she didn't tell me that part). I had fun with the doctor and blew her kisses when she left. Then the nurse came back in and put some funny-looking gloves on her hands. Mommy held/hugged me tight on her lap and the nurse poked me on my leg. I didn't like it at all! It hurt and I cried. Thankfully, I only had to get two shots today, so it wasn't that bad. After the shots were done, I got two band-aids. I only cried for a little bit, then the nurse gave me a book about farm animals, so I started to look through it and forgot about the shots. I even blew the nurse kisses when she left, too. People seem to like it when I do that, so I do it a lot!
So there you have it from a 1 1/2 year old's perspective. Now the stats: She measured 2' 8.75" tall and 24 lbs. She is officially more than 1/2 of my height! For the canucks in the family, let me convert that: Hannah is .832 m tall and weights 10.886 kg. Sorry, just couldn't resist. :P Hannah still has a significant amount of chub, as you can see in the picture, but somehow, she comes in in the 40-somethingith (I think I just made up a word. Sorry, I can't remember the exact number) percentile for weight and - get this - 81st percentile for height!! Don't know where she got those genes! Her development is coming along just fine and the doctor said she's a "very happy baby!" There is one thing, however, that hasn't developed as it should. By 18 months, most babies' soft spots have closed, but Hannah's is still there and is still big. Per protocol, she is referring us to a neurologist, but advised us that she's never had any patients in which this has been a major problem. I'm thankful that they're looking into it, though. I must say that it still weirds me out a little to see her head pulsating where her soft spot is. :)

This afternoon, Hannah and I took a walk around our complex. We stopped by Uncle Aaron and Aunt Kimmy's house to say hi. Hannah apparently feels very comfortable there, because Aaron opened the door, and Hannah immediately squeezed right past him and let herself in. Guess we need to work on her manners. :) It has been fun to watch her personality develop and begin to manifest itself. She is such a ham (just ask Aunt Kimmy)!

Well, I better go get some chores done since Hannah's napping!

1 comment:

Kristin said...

I LOVE the updates...even though almost everyone makes me cry that I can't be there!

Thanks for the translation into meters :)....boy...I don't think I'll ever figure out the metric system...too many odd numbers!

Can't wait to give my little...actually BIG...niece a hug and have some one-on-one aunt time with her! :)

Love you...and Kimiko...REALLY, thanks for taking the time to share...I love reading it!