The other day, James was listening to a sermon by Matt Chandler and something he said really struck me. The funny thing is, it's something I had always known, but never really realized, if that makes any sense. Once I explain what I'm talking about, it should be a little more clear.
Have you ever thought about the context of Genesis 2:18? It says, "Then the Lord God said, 'It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make a helper suitable for him.'" This took place when Adam, and the world, was still in his/its perfect, sinless state. Wow! I knew my role as a wife was important, but this really helps to drive it home! It wasn't because of his sin or because of the fallen state of the world that Adam needed a helper. No, he needed one before that! And I don't say this to belittle my husband. I say it because it helps me understand just how important my role as helper is and that even in a perfect world, my role would still be the same!
As a Home Ec major at a Christian college, I had the privilege of learning from some very godly and wise women. I remember one of them telling us that part of the role of a wife is to take care of her husband, his needs, his home, his family, etc. in such a manner that he is free to do his job without distraction. In other words, he can focus on his job (providing for the family) without being weighed down by having to worry about what is or is not going on at home. This is something I try to remind myself of everyday as I go about doing the sometimes mundane and tedious tasks around the house.
As I look at our culture, I am saddened by how far we have strayed from God's plan for women. We are constantly bombarded with the lie that unless we earn a living, have our own money, and make our own decisions, we are worthless. Submission is seen as weakness and as letting our husbands walk all over us. And, to be honest, sometimes I find myself falling for these lies, which is why it is all the more important to be immersed in the Truth of God's Word. It is here that we realize just how valuable and exciting the role of a woman is when we follow God's plan and design. When I recognize what God's plan is, it gives me motivation and an excitement to fulfill my role as helper.
Having a daughter has really caused me to think of this issue all the more. How am I going about my role as a helper? What is my attitude towards it as displayed through my actions? Am I joyously going about my day, taking care of my husband, my daughter, and the house, or do I have a spirit of complaining? Even when it comes to the chores which I dislike the most, I still need to do them with a joyful heart and attitude. Even my countenance while I go through the day says a lot about my heart. I want my daughter to grow up realizing the importance of the role of a wife and to see the joy that results from obeying God's design. I understand that at her young age (9 months), she isn't able to tell what my attitude toward my role is, but I need to set a pattern now so that when she is older, God can use me to teach her how wonderful it is to be a women. I pray that God will use me to teach her many biblical principles throughout her lifetime - this being one of them.
2 comments:
Thanks, Kimiko. You explained that beautifully and I know that is was a needed reminder for my own heart!!!
Love you and thanks for your encouragement!
Thanks Kimiko
I'm writing as one who has been helped by a godly "helper;" a living testimony of what you just wrote about. I am grateful for the blessings of a wife who has truly come alongside to help her husband be all he can be for the Lord. God doesn't lie. His Word is true! I could not have served God's flock without a wife who faithfully served our family. While my many "short-comings" have made Sandy's role as "helper" all the more challenging, her delight in serving our family has brought security and much joy to her daily life! I know my son James will be extremely blessed for the wisdom God has given to you. Next week, after he reads your post, I expect to read his blog on the joys of loving and sacrificing for a wife who faithfully serves him, and does it unto the Lord!
In His grace,
Dad Parker
Post a Comment